Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Homemade Marshmallows

This was one of the first items I thought of when coming up with baking goals this year. And it was the very first one I made. Originally when I saw recipes for homemade marshmallows, just ignored them. I figured it was too much work. But this is the very type of recipe that I was looking for to get outside of my comfort zone.

I looked at a few different recipes and realized they were all pretty much the same. The two that I referenced the most were from Annie's Eats and from Sally's Candy Addiction book. The key piece of equipment - a candy thermometer. 

Let's talk candy thermometers for a minute. Years ago I received a candy thermometer and never used it. I didn't realize the clip was movable. I know, how crazy is that?! Well maybe stupid more than crazy. Anyhow. Once I finally did discover the clip moved and I could fit it on a pot, I only used it twice. It didn't work right either time - the second time I had an epic fudge fail. But it was the only one I had on hand when making these marshmallow, so I just went with it. I really thought it was user error rather than it being inaccurate. As it turns out - while I was cooking the sugar I had the smart idea to try my regular thermometer that I use for meat, to check against the candy one. Sure enough - the candy one was completely off (way cooler). I caught it with enough time, so the recipe actually turned out great!

Homemade marshmallows taste different than store bought, that's for sure. Not in a bad way, but different. Maybe less of a chemical taste. My husband who doesn't care for regular marshmallows liked these way better. The kids liked them, but also said that they tasted different. But let's be clear, it didn't stop them from eating the marshmallows at all!

The recipe makes quite a bit, but they last forever in an airtight container. I made these back at the beginning of January, and finally last week I used the last of them to make rice krispie treats - YUM!

Since I last made them, I have gotten a new candy thermometer. I'd like to make them again because I think it would be even easier. These would also make great gifts around the holiday time with a packet of hot cocoa!

Verdict:
Easy with the right equipment; great for gifts; would definitely make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment